I’m sure there are others and I’ll come to the table with more as I think about them…but for now, here are your 8 and your 5!
So that said…If you decide it’s time to look for a new agency, here are a few things to do and don’t do as you work your way through the process of finding a better firm.
- Give yourself enough time (we allocate about 2 months to a search)
- Look beyond the four walls of your city (get some varied perspective)
- Ask tough questions upfront and throughout the process (see if they’re paying attention)
- Take the time to thoroughly review everything agencies put in front of you
- Talk to each agency individually before they pitch your business
- Search for character match as well as category match (this is a bit of a marriage)
- Establish detailed criteria upfront with full team buy-in (including the final decision maker)
- Set expectations for the agencies so they know what their supposed to do for you
- Invite more agencies to the search than you think you can thoroughly review
- Hurry the preparation for the final pitch (you want your agencies to do their best job)
- Let the personality of one of the presenters taint your view of the entire agency
- Select agencies for the next round only based on functional evaluative criteria (see how they think, not just what they do)
- Not give agencies feedback after they don’t make the cut (at any round)